Unveiling of the Jan Žižka statue
restoration of the one of the largest equestrian statues in the world was completedLocation: National Memorial on the Vítkov Hill, U Památníku 1900, Praha 3
On Monday 24 October 2011 will be unveiled restored statue of Jan Žižka at the National Memorial on the Vítkov Hill.
We have prepared accompanying program - historical fencing demonstrations, guided tour and lectures (in czech language only), art workshop for children. You can visit exhibition Elections, long-term exhibition Crossroads of Czech and Czechoslovak Statehood and many interesting places in the Memorial.
Sculpture will be lit in the colors of tricolor for three days.
The National Memorial on the Vitkov hill will be open 10 a.m.–18:30 p.m.
Free Admission fee.
Jan Žižka z Trocnova
was follower of Jan Hus. He was born at Trocnov around 1360 and despite he had only one eye, he become the most respected military Czech general and Hussite leader. He led several major military operations during the Hussite Wars in Bohemia (about 1419–1434). Žižka also fought in the great battle of Tannenberg in 1410.
Statue of the Jan Žižka by Bohumil Kafka on Prague's Vítkov hill is one of the largest equestrian statues in the world. It is 9 meters high (including pedestal it measures 22 meters) and it was erected in 1950.
- 1 p.m. guided tour (in czech language only)
- 2 p.m. guided tour for children (in czech language only)
- 3 p.m. historical fencing demonstration
- 4 p.m. Tomáš Bursík: Jan Žižka statue - lecture (in czech language only)
- 5 p.m. Ivan Houska: Jan Žižka statue restoration - lecture (in czech language only)
- 6 p.m. historical fencing demonstration
- 6:30 p.m. closing of the National Memorial
- 7 p.m. unveiling of the Jan Žižka statue