The NATIONAL MEMORIAL ON THE VÍTKOV HILL was opened to the public.
The Memorial was opened to the public on October 29. 2009.
Under the name National Liberation Memorial, the memorial was built in the years 1928 – 1938 in honour of the Czechoslovak legionaries; it was re-built and extended after the end of the WW2 in order to commemorate the second – anti-Nazi resistance. After 1948, it was used to promote national ideology and regime. Prominent representatives of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia were buried here. The mausoleum of Klement Gottwald was established here in 1953. The Memorial slowly started to be forgotten. After 1989, all of the remains buried here were taken away, however, for a long time particular utilisation was a subject of discussion. In 2001, the Vítkov National Memorial became part of a government resolution on rehabilitation and reconstruction of some memorials related to Czechoslovak history of the 20th century. It came under the management of the National Museum, which prepared its reconstruction and rehabilitation. After over two years of reconstruction, the Memorial was opened to the public on October 29. 2009. How to get there: - from Ohrada crossroads (tram, bus station) through the park straight on about 1400 m - from Florenc (bus 175, 133) to U památníku station, then back to the Army Museum and up the hill (difficult terrain) - from Florenc (bus 175, 133) to Tachovské náměstí station, then left up along the tunnel to Karlín (the shortest way) More information about National Memorial